Update 21, September 22, 2012 - Two Dominicans with symptoms similar to cholera died in the western province of Santiago, medical sources reported as the country is carrying out a campaign against several diseases.
UPDATE 20, August 22, 2011 - The number of deaths caused by the cholera epidemic in the Dominican Republic have reached 109, while there are 15,876 suspect cases, according to figures revealed Friday by the health authorities.
July 27, 2011 - European Union (EU) health officials today warned travelers about a risk of contracting cholera in the Dominican Republic, a magnet for tourists...... read more
July 11, 2011 - A total of 71 people had died from cholera-related diseases since last November, including nine deaths last week, the Health Ministry said on Friday. The number of suspected cholera cases had risen to 10,760 after 1,014 new cases were registered alone in the last week. Source
BREAKING NEWS, MAY 12, 2011 - Government hiding the real numbers to protect the travel industri.
Possible cholera outbreak pits Public Health, doctors’ guild, diariolibre.com reports
DominicanToday.com - Fearing a possible cholera outbreak in the sprawling barrio of La Cienega, Dominican Doctor’s Guild (CMD) president Senén Caba and a contagion specialist and an epidemiologist yesterday inspected the houses of the residents affected, diariolibre.com reports.
It said they tested several people of all ages and await the lab from Aybar hospital, where they receive medical attention.
The Health Ministry affirms that a possible cholera outbreak is normal, but denied the occurrence of deaths and noted that private lab analyses aren’t official, the Website said.
Caba however affirmed that he’ll get those affected privately tested free of charge, and that the authorities hide the cases. He linked them to the lack of potable water and the squalor in the sector. “There’s a control Nazi," he said, adding that the authorities intimidate the doctors into keeping mum on the outbreak.
Update 13 - March 26, 2011
Dominican health authorities report seven cholera deaths
DominicanToday.com – With the death of a 43-year-old woman in Pedernales, 330 kilometers west of Santo Domingo, the cholera outbreak in the Dominican Republic brings the total to seven deaths, while the number of infected people reaches 650.
Authorities plan to launch a public awareness campaign to warn people about the waterborne bacterial disease and urge strict hygiene measures to control the outbreak, officials said Friday.
Cholera is an intestinal infection caused by ingestion of contaminated food or water. It can strike swiftly, causing intense diarrhea, vomiting and nausea that leads to severe dehydration and sometimes death.
After the disease broke out in Haiti's Artibonite valley, the death toll from the cholera epidemic in the neighboring country has reached 4,672
DominicanToday.com – The death of at least 135 Haitians from a reported outbreak of cholera has forced the various aid groups to mobilize emergency medicines and other materials to fight it, before it becomes that impoverished nation’s major post-quake health crisis and which prompted Dominican Republic’s Public Health Minister’s warning that it poses “all the danger in the world” for his country.
The outbreak in the rural region Artibonite, which houses thousands of the quake victims, materialized the fears of aid groups that the squalor would heighten the problems for people lodged in the makeshift tent cities cloaked in misery.
"We had feared this situation from the quake," said Robin Mahfood, head of the group Food for the Poor, which was readying a shipment of donated antibiotics, re-hydrator salts and other materials by air.
Many patients go to the hospital St. Nicholas in the coastal city St. Marc, where hundreds of dehydrated patients are fed intravenously while laying on blankets in the parking lot floor awaiting specialized medical attention.
Haiti’s Health Ministry has registered 135 deaths and more than 1,000 infected, said Catherine Huck, Assistant director in the country of the United Nations Humanitarian Affairs Coordination Office.
“We know that there are people with diarrhea and vomiting, who can pass away soon if the don’t receive timely medical attention. Doctors await lab results to confirm what disease they are dealing with.”
Cholera outbreak kills 200 as it spreads toward Haiti’s capital
Port-au-Prince.– By early Saturday, nearly 200 people were confirmed dead due to a cholera outbreak that has spread outside a rural valley in neighboring Haiti, which is considered the nation's worst health crisis since the Jan. 12 quake.
The first two cholera cases outside the central Artibonite region were confirmed Friday in Arcahaie, a town closer to the quake-devastated capital, Port-au-Prince. Experts also were investigating possible cases in Croix-des-Bouquet, a suburb of the capital, and radio reports said there were two dozen cases of diarrhea on Gonave island.
Health officials are fearful about the outbreak spreading into the capital, where thousands and thousands of people are living in unsanitary conditions in refugee camps.
According to Jon Andrus, deputy director of the Pan American Health Organization's Regional Office for the Americas, the number of cases is expected to grow since Haitians do not have any built-up immunity to cholera. The organization is sending medical teams to the Dominican Republic as a preventive measure.
Update November 13th, 2010
Haiti cholera toll climbs to 800
Port-au-Prince.– The death toll in Haiti's cholera epidemic climbed on Thursday to 800, according to an American medical expert, but U.S. health authorities said the risk of widespread transmission to the United States was low, given good sanitation there.
Fatalities from the diarrheal disease have risen steadily since the start of the outbreak more than three weeks ago in the poor Caribbean nation, which is struggling to recover from the effects of a devastating January 12 earthquake.
According to Ezra Barzilay, an epidemiologist at the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the emergency created by the epidemic was worsening. “As of November 8, we had about 640 deaths. Today we are at 800,” he said.
Haiti's epidemic, which was worsened by flooding caused by Hurricane Tomas this month, has piled another humanitarian emergency on the Western Hemisphere's poorest state, whose capital was wrecked by the January earthquake that killed more than 250,000 people.
A FIRST case of cholera has been detected in the Dominican Republic, Public Health Minister Bautista Rojas said today.
The patient is a 32-year-old Haitian-born man named Wilmont Lowel who is being treated in a hospital in the eastern town of Higuey, Mr Rojas said.
Dominican authorities had tightened border controls and stepped up health checks in an attempt to stop the disease from spreading from Haiti, where the death toll climbed past 1000 today.
The Dominican Republic shares the island of Hispaniola with Haiti.
Higuey is located in the far eastern Dominican Republic, about 140 kilometres east of the capital Santo Domingo.
Update November 20th, 2010
WHO - Haiti cholera to spread to Dominican Republic.
GENEVA (Reuters) – Haiti’s cholera pestilential module needs distribute to the friar Republic but is probable to drive inferior pillaging there, the World Health Organization (WHO) said Friday.
Many Haitians impact in the friar Republic and because cholera infections ofttimes do not exhibit symptoms, the water-borne disease could easily interbreed the border, WHO spokesman Pope Hartl told a U.N. programme briefing in Geneva.
“It is completely due that there module be cases in the friar Republic. We are sight the prototypal signs of these cases and we are employed with the polity of the friar Republic to prepare,” Hartl said. He estimated the sort of infections as “still in azygos digits, probably.”
More than 1,110 grouping hit died in state from the cholera outbreak, and more than 18,000 hit embellish sick.
The disease is treatable with test hydration salts — or home-made solutions of 1 litre of water, 1 containerful of briny and sextet spoonfuls of dulcify — but crapper be noxious if not caught early.
WHO spokesman faith Lindmeier said that in the friar Republic meliorate hygienic conditions meant the diarrheic sickness should be inferior dangerous. “We don’t wait it to be as broad as it is in Haiti,” he said of the nonindulgent sickness and modification rate.
Health officials in Florida hit reportable digit addicted cholera incident — in a doc who visited kinsfolk in state — but officials feature the venture of a U.S. occurrence is minimal.
Update 5, November 22, 2010
Update 6, November 27, 2010
Update 7, December 02, 2010
Update 8, December 10, 2010
Now over 22 cases of Cholera in the Dominican Republic
Canadians planning to travel to the Dominican Republic are being advised to consider getting a cholera vaccine beforehand. The Public Health Agency of Canada updated its travel notice for the Dominican Republic on Thursday, noting there are confirmed cases of cholera in the country.......
Update 9, December 20, 2010
Now over 59 cases of Cholera in the Dominican Republic
Dominican Republic: Public Works worries over cholera increase
The rhythm that cholera is taking in the country with an average of three confirmed cases a day has made the Health authorities increase the vigilance all over the country with the idea of avoiding a massive outbreak of the disease.
For today, the head of Public Health, Bautista Rojas Gomez, has programmed a meeting with the provincial Health directors, with the aim of informing them of the steps to be taken to face the disease that has now affected 38 persons, among them two Haitians that imported it.
The most recent case is that of a young man, 16 years old, in the community of Banica, in Elias Piña province, who was working as a farm laborer.
The idea is to treat all of the cases of diarrhea as suspicious and investigate them in laboratories to find out if they are positive or not, due to the fact that in December there is an increase in the risk of contagion because of the increase in food consumption.
The national situation with regard to cholera from 24 October when the prevention measures went into place, until yesterday is the there were 312 cases reported and 38 were confirmed, there were 11 out patients cases and 27 were hospitalized.
The provinces of Santiago, Elias Piña and Santo Domingo are the ones that are showing the greatest number of cases, with 14,9 and 7 respectively.
The Minister of Public Health explained that it is necessary to maintain the nationalization and because of this they are intensifying the campaign with a second phase that will begin next 22 December.
This effort is especially aimed at involving the families in the efforts to prevent the disease from spreading and in promoting health.
He said that they will keep watching while the threat of the disease exists, and he called upon the population to apply the recommendation that they have been issuing through the different media.
In Santiago where the greatest number of cases has been found, the authorities have prepared 35 isolation wards in the 15 hospitals in the province in order to treat patients with symptoms of the disease.
Germán guarantees the quality of the water in the aqueducts.
Update 10, December 27, 2010
First Dominican cholera death suspected as cases soar
SANTO DOMINGO — As cholera infections soar in the Dominican Republic, health authorities probed Sunday a possible first fatality from an outbreak that has killed thousands in Haiti.
Twenty-three new infections brought the total to 105 in Haiti's more developed neighbor, Health Minister Bautista Rojas said, adding that the suspect death was an unnamed individual in the south of the country.
"We had unprecedented growth (of the disease) in the southern provinces of San Juan and Azua," Rojas told reporters. Among the victims, 11 have been admitted to health clinics and the rest have been discharged.
Haiti, where the Caribbean nation's first cholera outbreak in over a century has killed over 2,500 people since it surfaced in mid-October, and the Dominican Republic share a porous 376-kilometer (234-mile) border.
Health officials in the Dominican Republic have introduced new measures to try to slow the advance of the disease from Haiti.
The Santo Domingo government forbids the use of water from the Artibonite River that traverses most of the island of Hispaniola and is thought to have been the source of the cholera epidemic.
Update 11, January 24, 2011
Dominican Republic reports first cholera death
Officials in the Dominican Republic on Sunday reported the first death from a cholera outbreak that had spread from neighboring Haiti, local media said.
Health officials were quoted as saying the victim had been in Haiti and lived in the Dominican city of Higuey.
A health ministry statement said Renauld Francois, 53, died Thursday, and that an autopsy would be performed to learn the exact cause of death but that his symptoms were "consistent with the disease."
The Dominican Republic has reported 152 cases of cholera since the outbreak in Haiti last year.
In Haiti, officials say 3,889 people have died since the discovery of the epidemic in mid-October through January 16, out of 194,000 infected.
The two countries share the island of Hispaniola.
Recently Domincians was prohibited from swimming in the national rivers to try to stop the cholera outbreak!